The main MAIL objective is to trigger the utilization of MLs as potential Carbon Sinks, in order to increase sequestration of CO2 in the LULUCF sector without any impact on agri-food sector.
- Definition of parameters describing Marginal Land within the different European climate zones, as MLs are affected by latitude.
- Implementation of certain series of data processing in order to determine the best possible way to map/monitor m/sm MLs based on free available datasets, satellite data or open source applications.
- Quantification of potential CO2 sequestration capacity and sustainable utilization of MLs under the prism of LULUCF.
- Alternative proposals of possible vegetation species that might be used for CO2 storage on MLs considering the limited site conditions. To test the effectiveness of the methodology of the project, the approach will be applied in pilot case studies, representative of Mediterranean and Central/Central-Eastern Europe.
- Creation of a knowledge base and a virtual web classroom for the training of participants in advanced classification remote sensing techniques.
- Creation of a virtual place where partners, stakeholders or research community, could collaborate and find useful information.
- Establishment of a permanent working team consisting of RS and Forestry experts that will focus on the MLs management at EU level.
- General guidelines and manuals will attract and help relevant stakeholders. The pilot work will prove the feasibility of MAIL results. The project will focus on initiating the supply chain, analyzing, describing and implementing possible planting and harvesting methods as well as logistic concepts.